MATCH values for BLASTN

David Kristofferson kristoff at
Wed Sep 11 18:10:52 EST 1991

>       The GenBank BLAST Email Server uses defaults of 5 and -4 for parameters
> M and N in blastn jobs.

	I see that NCBI has a response to your question further down
in the header list for items in this newsgroup.  I just want to
clarify that GenBank has not added anything to the BLAST program
itself nor changed its default values.  The version of BLAST used on
the GOS e-mail server can also be FTPed from if you
want to fiddle around with reformating the databases locally.  The
only "added value" that we at GenBank provide are the e-mail access
and the database maintenance.  I am happy to see that the folks at
NCBI have posted a theoretical explanation of the parameter because
they as authors of the program are obviously best suited to do so.

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at