harper at NIC.FUNET.FI
Tue Sep 24 02:34:29 EST 1991
In <Sep.184.108.40.206.1991.16373 at genbank.bio.net> kristoff at genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
DK>This is done quite frequently on USENET. The more I think about it,
DK>however, the less sure I am that we would want a parallel mailing list
DK>to something like this since there are e-mail servers already and we
DK>don't want to blast BITNET more than we already are 8-). For example,
DK>we do not have a mailing list for bionet.molbio.genbank.updates. If
DK>all we're talking about is adding a USENET group without setting up
DK>mailing lists at the four BIOSCI nodes, we can establish this
DK>trivially and I'm not sure that we need to go through the usual BIOSCI
DK>I have also seen in some forwarded messages from Rob concern about
DK>viruses being propagated around. Since UofH, IUBIO, and EMBL are
DK>already handling software and I presume checking for these, the group
DK>could be moderated and contributions would have to be funneled through
DK>the moderators (these groups would be the obvious choices).
1) A binaries/sources newsgroup should be moderated.
2) Files for the newsgroup should be check for viruses (MAC/MSDOS)
3) A starter kit of programmes for decoding should be posted
to the newsgroup once a month, together with some general information.
4) distribution would only be through Usenet.
5) Bitnet mail distribution would not be catered for. (carrot and stick)
6) A newsreader like NN which has a decoder built into it would be highly
7) The newsgroup would esentially low volume.
8) Software for distribution to be droped off at nic.funet.fi
in the /pub/sci/incoming directory.
9) A dependable, hard-working, honest, reliable, handsome, intelligent
moderator needs to be found.
% Robert Harper % HARPER at FINFUN % HARPER at CSC.FI %
% Finnish State Computer Centre % Bitnet % Internet %
% Tietotie 6, 02101 Espoo Finland % Tel 358 0 4572076 % Fax 358 0 4572302 %
More information about the Bio-soft