embl/gopher

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Sun Aug 30 02:04:29 EST 1992

In article <9208281632.AA01723 at labsun1.med.uottawa.ca>, baird at LABSUN1.MED.UOTTAWA.CA (stephen baird) writes:
|>     Does anybody know a gopher hole that one can search and retrieve
|> sequences from the EMBL database like the great IUBIO gopher hole?

Name=BIOFTP EMBnet Switzerland
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/EMBNet BioInformation Resource Switzerland/
Host=bioftp.unibas.ch

                   EMBNet BioInformation Resource Switzerland

      1.  About EMBnet/
 -->  2.  Database/
      3.  Hints/
      4.  Info on this EMBNet Information Resource.
      5.  Other EMBnet Hosts/
      6.  Software/

                                    Database

 -->  1.  EMBL CD-ROM release/
      2.  ENZYME database/
      3.  GENBANK sequence archive in Indiana (USA)/
      4.  NEW since last EMBL release/
      5.  PIR International sequences in Houston (USA) /
      6.  PROSITE dictionary/
      7.  SWISS-PROT CD-ROM release/
      8.  UPDATES since last EMBL release/

The setup is somewhat different from Don Gilbert's gopher hole. First,
I keep TWO different subsets of EMBL updates. One which is containing
all NEW sequences (hence, obviously, item (4) on the list), and
then all entries which have been there before but got changed for
one or the other reason (item 8). The NEW sequences are called XEMBL,
and the updates are called XXEMBL. Therefore, if you select item (1),
you see

 -->  1.  Simultaneous search in all XXEMBL XEMBL EMBL sections  <?>
      2.  search for a key word in FUN section                   <?>
      3.  search for a key word in INV section                   <?>
      4.  search for a key word in MAM section                   <?>
      5.  search for a key word in ORG section                   <?>
      6.  search for a key word in PHG section                   <?>
      7.  search for a key word in PLN section                   <?>
and all the other EMBL sublibraries. This way, the search can take a bit
longer, because you in fact initiate 15 gopher searches simultaneously on
the Indigo (which is mostly running at load 2 anyhow). 'Long' means about
20 seconds if you search for something which is quite abundant. However,
as you may know, WAIS type full-text searches are not quite exhaustive,
and frequently give some trouble if you look for trivial words (e.g.,
'protein').
I have not strictly limited the number of answers, therefore you get
up to 60 pages of results.

Regards
Reinhard

EMBNET ADVERTISMENT FOLLOWS

EMBnet (European Molecular Biology Network) is a project run by 'national
nodes' which serve their communities with data and operate as knowledge
center. Other projects include the EMBnet NEWS hierarchy and teaching.
More information is provided in the 'About EMBnet' item. Your
national node can be found in the

                   EMBNet BioInformation Resource Switzerland

      1.  About EMBnet/
      2.  Database/
      3.  Hints/
      4.  Info on this EMBNet Information Resource.
 -->  5.  Other EMBnet Hosts/
      6.  Software/

      1.  List of all EMBnet nodes.
      2.  Node Detailed Info/
      3.  more GOPHERs (biological and others)/
 -->  4.  national_EMBnet_hosts/
      5.  non-national_EMBnet_hosts/

      1.  Belgium.
      2.  Denmark.
      3.  Finland.
      4.  France.
      5.  Germany.
      6.  Greece.
      7.  Israel.
      8.  Italy.
      9.  Netherlands.
      10. Norway.
      11. Spain.
      12. Sweden.
 -->  13. Switzerland.
      14. UK.

This posting is a service from and  by EMBnet Switzerland, funded by Basel
University, the Swiss National Science Foundation (NF), and enthusiasm.

Interested? Then ask your nearest EMBnet node to see what you missed so far.

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+