Request for information regarding GENBANK updates on UNIX/DOS

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Fri Aug 28 03:09:01 EST 1992

In article <205 at sftwks.UUCP>, bradbury at sftwks.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes:
|> I have the GBUPDATE package by Brent Hobbs but this seems to create
|> a single file containing the entire database which is bad for S5 UNIX
|> (due to ulimits and multiple indirect blocks) and worse for DOS
|> (file system size limits).  There seem to be messy tradeoffs between
|> organizing this in flat files (perhaps in directories for each organism)
|> which would require extra time to open each file verses large files
|> which would require the creation of some fancy indexing scheme.
|> Is anyone keeping the database in some kind of flat file system
|> that they can give me some advice on what works/doesn't work?

I use a system V (IRIX) and the UNIX archiver (ar) to create files.
The ar can input more than one change at a time, and can do the
required add/delere/replace/list functionality.

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+