I need descriptions of formats for GenBank and EMBL

Conrad Halton Halling chh9 at quads.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:44:42 EST 1992

I am writing a program that must parse the CDS fields of GenBank and EMBL
entries.  Are official descriptions of the GenBank and EMBL formats
available?

For example, I need to know what the format is when complement() and
join() are used.  Is the order "complement(join(1..10,20..40))" or
"join(complement(1..10),complement(20..40))"?

(I guess I'm slow, but I just discovered that the format of EMBL entries
has changed completely.  This probably broke everyone's software -- I
know it will break some of my programs.)

--
Conrad Halling
c-halling at uchicago.edu