ProfileScan questions

Steve Thompson: VADMS genetics THOMPSON at JAGUAR.CSC.WSU.EDU
Wed Aug 12 15:00:28 EST 1992

Hi Netlanders and Profile users--

I apologize for not posting regarding my profiles for a while.   I've been
involved getting ready to teach this Fall, taking a few vacations, and have
spent the last two weeks at the Woods Hole MBL Molecular Evolution workshop.

Several people have asked how to update the .fil file that GCG's ProfileScan
uses to include other profiles in its search strategy.  Unfortunately I do NOT
know how Dr. Gribskov generated the cutoff values in this file.  I'm sure a
very careful reading of his references would cull out such knowledge but I have
not read them with this purpose in mind.  If Michael or some of the GCG
development people read this, maybe they will be courteous enough to tell us
all an easier method than trying to figure it out for ourselves.  Regardless, I
will summarize the responses that I collect regarding this question and repost
in a couple of weeks.

I also expect to continue the development work on still more profiles, however,
I do have a teaching load this coming fall, so they will not be quick in
coming.  Thanks for all the encouraging words that I have gotten in this
project and some day I may even get the annotation of the existing profiles in
our library finished.

							Steve Thompson

			presently (for two more days) thompson at evol5.mbl.edu

but usually at:

                              Steven M. Thompson
            Consultant in Molecular Genetics and Sequence Analysis
VADMS (Visualization, Analysis & Design in the Molecular Sciences) Laboratory
           Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-1224, USA
          AT&Tnet:  (509) 335-0533 or 335-3179  FAX:  (509) 335-0540
                  BITnet:  THOMPSON at WSUVMS1 or STEVET at WSUVM1
                   INTERnet:  THOMPSON at wsuvms1.csc.wsu.edu