MacVector Thoughts/ Was Re: software for molecular biology

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Fri Aug 7 12:50:21 EST 1992

ecec at quads.uchicago.edu (Eric Cabot) writes:

>and inexpensive DOS programs. (Plus the GCG implementation here  is far
>too expensive to use on a regular basis.)
>  So (to cut to the chase, as it were), I sent for the information packet
>and just plain choked on the price (almost $3K for single machine installation).
So what is the price for 10 seats? Still no way for a centralized mainframe
solution? I'm afraid we're back again to the religious war how cheap must
a workstation be to compete against a pc standalone solution :-( .
And, don't forget the databases... they're growing. You now need to have
a CD ROM at each station, better three: One EMBL, one PIR, and one NCBI
drive.

Regards
Reinhard