The death of an Archive

Rob Harper Rob.Harper at CONVEX.CSC.FI
Tue Feb 18 03:09:06 EST 1992

You don't know what you've got till its gone.
They paint paradise and put up a parking lot.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%  CLIP  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
For those of you who follow the macintosh newsgroups, you may have
already seen this.  I was going to write my own version of this, but
I felt my collegue had already summed it very nicely.  So here is his
letter which echos my feelings.

 Dear mac-archive-user....

 I have some very very disturbing and shocking (at least for me) news
 to relay to you....

 Due to budget constraints at the U-M Information Technology Division,
 a tenative decision has been made to cut and cease support of the largely
 volunteer archive service (i.e. mac.archive.umich.edu, msdos.archive.umich.edu,
 next.archive.umich.edu, linguistics.archive, atari, etc.).

 Here is a copy of the message I received about a half hour ago
 from my supervisor on the project:

 ------