GenBank entries (numbers)

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Mon Feb 17 21:43:34 EST 1992

> Release 0.1 (Jan. '92) from NCBI and Release 70 Dec. 15 1991 as distributed by
> IntelliGenetics, Inc.
>
> 	NCBI = 62,807          GenBank 70 = 58,952
>
> For the sake of completeness I'd like to add:
>
> 	gbseq.all as of 15-Feb-92 = 5,477 entries (i.e. entries published
>                                                      since the Release 70
>                                                      freeze date).
>
>         The total GenBank entries, then, available via GOS as of that
> Saturday was 64,429.  I would guess that there were entries in NCBI's
> release that were not available from GOS.

My quick guess is that apples are being compared to oranges.  NCBI is
scanning the literature independently now and adding entries to their
relational database.  I am not sure what the reason for the
discrepancy is, but there was no expectation here that their release
would be identical to ours.  We specifically kept different release
numbers precisely to prevent the kind of comparisons made above.  I
also note that the GenBank contract has always restricted entries to
sequences of 50 bases or greater in length.  My understanding is that
NCBI will not be bound by this restriction.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net