Gopher and WAIS

Rob Harper Rob.Harper at CONVEX.CSC.FI
Tue Feb 11 12:34:48 EST 1992

>From: lindner at mudhoney.micro.umn.edu (Paul Lindner)
>Newsgroups: alt.gopher
>Subject: Re: Introduction to alt.gopher
>Date: 10 Feb 92 22:59:06 GMT
>Sender: news at news2.cis.umn.edu (Usenet News Administration)

In <1992Feb10.204147.8898 at ncsu.edu> amcandel at eos.ncsu.edu (Alex Candelaria) writ
   es:

>Is gopher kind of like WAIS (Wide Area Information Service) which is
>already online and running throughout the country?

Well it's similar, yet different.  They share the same concepts,
full-text searching, large databases, network access, etc.

Gopher takes WAIS one step further in that it straps a distributed
organizational structure on top of this.  In fact you can run gopher
index servers and WAIS servers side by side using the same indexes.

Gopher also supports the NeXT indexing API, which was the only thing
available when we released gopher.
--
 | Paul Lindner | lindner at boombox.micro.umn.edu   | Slipping into madness
 |  GopherSpace | Computer & Information Services | is good for the sake
 |   Engineer   | University of Minnesota         | of comparision.