Announcing V1.1 of the NIH-Guide Reading Program for VAX/VMS.

smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Wed Feb 5 18:21:43 EST 1992

Announcing V1.1 of the NIH-Guide Reading Program

      We have recently revised our NIH-Guide reading program for VAX/VMS.  Its
purpose is to provide a user-friendly tool to browse and search the NIH-Guide
for Grants and Contracts, as distributed electronically via BITNET.  It is
designed to allow the NIH-Guide database to be updated automatically as new
Guide information is distributed, allowing administrative overhead for
database management to be significantly reduced.

      The program consists of two main components: The Guide-Reading program
itself, and the Guide-Formatting program. The Guide-Reading program is the
component used to browse the Guide.  This program reads the guide database and
presents the Guide items for inspection.  The program is driven by single
key-strokes using programmed keys on the VT100 or VT200-style keyboard. The
user can print items of interest on a convenient printer. The Guide-Formatting
program takes the incoming mail to the NIH Guide 'user' and processes it to
update the NIH-Guide information database.  The updating of the Guide is
therefore achieved automatically, without manager intervention.

      The features of this package are:-

- Single key-stroke, menu driven user interface.
- Rapid access to any guide text in database.
- Online HELP and introductory user guide suitable for printing.
- Selective printing or E-mailing of whole guides, indexes, or guide items.
- Powerful search tools to locate items of interest, using text strings, NIH-
  supplied keywords, program types or target groups.
- Boolean searches.
- Items expired or near due at NIH are marked.
- Easy management, with security features to control printing, mailing. Idle
  user timeouts can be enabled, making this ideal for a Library environment.
- Database archiving option to save disk space, but keep all items on-line.
- Optional removal of expired items from database.
- Extensively tested in a production environment.

      The software is available free of charge from our MAILSERVer.  To get
it, send mail to MAILSERV at MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU with the following lines in the
body of the message: the distribtion is in eight parts.

SEND NIH_GUIDE.1
..etc..
SEND NIH_GUIDE.8

The distribution will be mailed to you.  Follow the instructions at the
begining of the first mailed message: the distribution is in a VMS_SHARE
archive.  Note that this program superceds the V1.0 version of this package
and has new features not available in any of the beta test versions: if you
have a beta test version, please pull the new package.

      If you would like to test the package before installing it, AND you
have access to TELNET, please contact us and we will tell you how to log in
to our VAX to run the program.

      The development of these programs owes much to the help of people who
called or mailed comments on what they saw during the testing phase of
development: particular thanks to Foteos Macrides for many detailed reports
which were key to resolving significant problems.

Contacts:  smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu       SMITH at NYUMED.BITNET
           gottesman at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu   GOTTESMAN at NYUMED.BITNET