Multiple alignment of protein sequences

doelz at doelz at
Thu Feb 6 02:22:09 EST 1992

In article <1992Feb5.202309.22818 at>, umbjs at (Jean Starkey) writes:

> significant homology.  I have used FASTA and BESTFIT
> and other programs on the GCG package available on
> the front end of the Pittsburg super computer.

If there is Version 7 of the GCG program software installed this
contains the program PILEUP which gets you what you might need.
The question is just whether you're trying to align garbage or whether
there's really a piece of common information in it. No computer can help
if the desired homology doesn't exist. Unfourtunately, the computer
won't tell you, but PILEUP will give up if you have more than 2000 Gap

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz at
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  20579::48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%022846211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 261- 6760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247