multiple keyword searching on UH Gene-Server

Dan Davison dbd at THEORY.BCHS.UH.EDU
Thu Jan 30 00:00:01 EST 1992

Thanks to Zharkikh Andrey <GSBS1022%UTSPH.THENET at lib.tmc.edu> a method
for performing multiple keyword searches on the UH Gene-Server has
been worked out.  It uses the trick that "." is a special placeholding
character to grep. HIs message (edited) follows:

"The problem is appearred to be not so simple and I spent much time to
understand, what the request should be.

Among 'globin' entries there is a multiple keyword:

	hemoglobin alpha-2 beta-2

I used the following requests:

	send keyword 'emoglobin.alpha-2'         - works
	send keyword 'moglobin.alpha-2'          - works
	send keyword 'oglobin.alpha-2.b'         - works
	send keyword 'oglobin.alpha-2.b'         - works
	send keyword 'oglobin.alpha-2.be'        - works
	send keyword 'oglobin.alpha-2.bet'       - does not work
	send keyword 'hem........alpha-2.beta-2' - works
	send keyword 'hemoglobin.alpha-2.beta-2' - does not work
	send keyword 'hemoglobin.alpha-2'        - does not work

So, a keyword should contain no more than 16 definite characters plus
some number of periods denoting any characters."

I don't know the basis of the 16-character limitation but will check
this out.

Note that this trick will work for authors, too, so you can request
specific authors now:

SEND AUTHOR Messing,.J.  (note the "." between the comma and the J).

Many thanks to Andrey for his experimentation with the multiple keyword
problem.

dan davison
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU
Gene-Server manager, too