**Primer

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Sun Jan 26 21:36:30 EST 1992

In article <ko6joeINNc50 at agate.berkeley.edu> nigel at codon3 (Nigel Walker;351 GPBB;x2-8058) writes:

>The README file for Primer states:
>->PRIMER is available for free use for non-commercial purposes
>->PRIMER may be freely redistributed to other scientists
>
>So is there an "other scientist" out there willing to put the Mac executables
>up for FTP (and tell the rest of us where to find it)?   It would certainly
>make my day.

You should have read another sentence further in the primer.txt document.
The authors specifically forbid distribution from other archives unless
written permission is obtained.  I wrote the authors several months back
asking for such permission to redistribute their software, but have not
heard back.
					-- Don

Here is more of the primer doc------------------:

(B) You can download the most recent version off the Internet via anonymous FTP
to "genome.wi.edu" (internet number 192.70.250.135).  Fetch and read the file RE
ADME for details.   If this all sounds like gibberish, please ask a computer spe
(C) You can send a request to:
"PRIMER c/o The Lander Lab,
Whitehead Institute/MIT
9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142.
Email to "primer at genome.wi.edu" (Internet),  or  FAX to 617-258-6505

What's the fine print?

PRIMER and its documentation are copyright 1991 by the Whitehead Institute for B
iomedical Research.  All rights are reserved.

PRIMER is available for free use for non-commercial purposes by basic research l
abs in both academia and industry, providing users register using the form suppl
ied with the program.  PRIMER may NOT be used to design oligos for any commercia
l purpose whatsoever (for example: the design or manufacture of oligonucleotides
 for profit, or for use in a test or kit supplied or performed for profit) witho
ut specific written permission from The Whitehead Institute.

PRIMER may be freely redistributed to other scientists, provided that all of the
 source, data, and documentation files ares distributed unmodified.  PRIMER may
NOT be posted to any bulletin board, included in any shareware distributions, or
 the like, without specific written permission from The Whitehead Institute.  Th
e PRIMER source code may be customized by individual users, although such versio
ns may not be redistributed without specific written permission from The Whitehe
ad Institute.

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu