Draft of text for Sources instructions.

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Tue Jan 7 16:19:00 EST 1992

Rob Harper wrote:
>        When I managed te BioSci lists at Irlearn, the problem of
>        DISK QUOTA EXCEEDED was encounted almost every week. It looks
>        like computer centers in the UK only give a limited disk quota
>        to their users. If a user does not clean out his mail box, or
>        read his mail for a couple of weeks then you get mail bouncing
>        back to the list. Since sources tend to be large multiple
>        postings, I would forsee that a E-mail distribution list
>        for sources would create problems for the managers of the BioSci
>        nodes.

        I typically get 1 or 2 bounce-backs from the UK due to exceeded disk
quotas for my relatively long winded messages.  I guess it would be more for
source postings.  So I guess I can't have what I want and how I want it ;-(.
Oh well, somehow I'll survive 8-).

>        I would not be happy with E-mail distribution of sources,
>        mainly because I would not like to be held responsible for a
>        network meltdown due to looping mail a thousand lines long.

        I remember that incident well, and what a tragic loss it seemed when
you dropped out for several months.  That's why I had second thoughts and
suggested an *unmoderated* bionet.sources.d/SRC-DISC, for which you wouldn't
be held responsible.

        Thanks for the instructions on how to KILL messages from MACRIDES 8-).

                                Fote