BLAST/VMS

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri Jul 3 08:40:00 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun30.120201.3336 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, BIONET at EARN.FRCGM51 writes...

>        Hello again,
>
>        Has anyone here in the net been successful in having the VMS
>version of BLAST (available from EMBL) run properly ? Or has anyone heard
>of a lab that succeeded in doing so ?
>
>        P.S. Yes I know. Move to UNIX....
>
>   - J.L. Risler -
>bionet at frcgm51.bitnet

Hi,
        I have done this, with a little help from my friends, and
the problem is that once I made the port and sent it off to NCBI,
they then made MAJOR changes in BLAST and DID NOT incorporate the
VMS compatable code in their release........sigh
        However, they did put this earlier VMS port on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
for anonymous ftp.  Several folks have obtained it and corresponded with
me, and I've sent them some "missing" files they failed to get from ncbi.
Since we now have 2 sparcstations I've not updated the VMS version of
BLAST and really don't want to keep both the GCG and BLAST versions of the
databases on our hard disk.  Thus have not done any more with it.
        In addition, BLAST, FASTA, etc also are available via e-mail
servers which are very useful and provide excellent searching capabilities
without tying up our local CPU and you might look into these.
        Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.