new structures (was: Gaps and PAMs)

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.biol.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 1 19:34:45 EST 1992

 goldman at mbcl.rutgers.edu (Adrian Goldman) writes:

>One only has to look (has someone made this point already?) at the
>recently-published yeast chromosome.  They found similarities for only a small
>percentage of their ORFs but I would be prepared to bet that the  structures of
>many, if not most, of the longer ORFs will turn out to be related to
>already-solved structures.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but what do you mean here?  Obviously they found helices, and beta-turns
and things of sub-molecular level of organization, but the genome projects
of yeast, C. elegans, drosophila and the likes will produce many many
"putative" protein sequences that where *never* sequenced before and
therefore have no "homologue" (this term used very loosely) in the databases,
because they are not there, because they are not globins, histones, ras, kinases, phosphatases ... the genes that people have been going after over the last 20 or
so years.

And the genome projects are the _only_ way to get these genes

(quick_asbestos_suit_on)

the only way to put new patterns in the databases.

(ok, ok, ok, ok,  I admit I may be a bit biased here :)

regards,

francis

---