Contig assembly software- request for comments

Littlejohn Tim little at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Wed Jul 29 14:13:02 EST 1992

Contig assembly software: request for comments

Our group will be generating large amounts of DNA sequence
data in the near future.  We are evaluating a number of
contig assembly programs for management of sequence projects,
but have not yet discovered one that suits our needs.

I would be most grateful for any comments on contig assembly
software that people may have to offer.  Specifically I would
appreciate comments on:

1.	operating environment (hardware and operating system);
2.	input data format;
3.	maximum size of each gel reading;
4.	maximum size of project (length of finally assembled consensus
	sequenced);
5.	price and availability of both binary and source codes.
6.	general feelings on speed, ease of use, etc.

Thanks!  Please email me any responses; I will post a summary of replies
to the net.

Tim Littlejohn

email: little at ere.umontreal.ca