PCA for UNIX systems?

FVEGA at CINVESMX.BITNET FVEGA at CINVESMX.BITNET
Thu Jun 25 12:06:00 EST 1992

From:   IN%"SMTP at ricevm1.rice.edu" 24-JUN-1992 18:31:08.57
To:     IN%"<@ricevm1.rice.edu:FVEGA at CINVESMX.BITNET>"  "FVEGA"
CC:
Subj:   Undeliverable Mail

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 92 18:58:51 CDT
From: SMTP at ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Undeliverable Mail
To: FVEGA <@ricevm1.rice.edu:FVEGA at CINVESMX.BITNET>

ricevm1.rice.edu unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
    <comp-bio at genebank.bio.net>
550 Host 'genebank.bio.net' Unknown

           ** Text of Mail follows **
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1992 17:24 CST
From: FVEGA%CINVESMX.BITNET at ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: PCA for UNIX systems
To: bio-soft at genebank.bio.net
Cc: comp-bio at genebank.bio.net

        Dear netters,

I am looking for a software that is capable of calculating the statistical
analysis called Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and that could run in a
SUN SparkStation 2. In fact I would be willing to do a special form of this
analysis that is called "Correspondence Analysis" and that has been used in
the grouping of genes regarding its codon usage. I am aware that another
method for looking for relationships between genes regerding its codon usage
is "Cluster Analysis", a technique commonly used in phylogenetic trees cons-
truction. I also would like to know if there is around a software version of
this former analysis in which I could feed gene sequences or at least codon
usage tables.

Well, I would appreciate if someone out there could inform me of the availa-
bility of one of such programms using either the net (Bio+Soft) or my per-
sonal E-Mail address.

        Regards,

        Francisco M. De La Vega
        Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology
        Centro de Investigacion y Estudios Avanzados
        A.P. 14-740, Mexico City 07000, Mexico
        E-Mail: FVEGA at CINVESMX.Bitnet
P.S.: I know that the GCG Package has a program called CORRESPOND an that
claims that it calculates parameters for Correspondenec Analysis, but if
someone has tried to use it for that purpose will notice that it just
calculates pairwise distances between genes in reference to its codon usage,
and is incapable of performing the PCA as described in the reference cited in
the manual!