PC/Mainframe - data vs. storage

Keith Robison robison1 at husc9.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 25 10:23:13 EST 1992

samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena) writes:

>For $4000 I can dedicate a soupped-up PC
>full time to sequence crunching for two years and "afford" to
>throw it away when the technology is made "obsolete" by natural
>marketplace evolution.  Can you afford to chuck your Sparc Station after
>2 years?  :^)

>|     In person:  Steve Modena     AB4EL                           |

Just a minor point:  a serious advantage of UNIX machines (SPARCs et al)
is that they are never obsolete -- so long as you have a local network.
A lot of the work I do (and plan to) involves long running times but
can be straight-forwardly done in parallel by splitting the job into
sub-jobs and queuing them off onto separate machines.  Even the
world's slowest UNIX box will do!

(Note, this sort of strategy was used in the "Exhaustive Matching" paper)

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Program in Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology

robison at ribo.harvard.edu