DON'T ENDANGER your research by using cheap services! (PC vs Main.)

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Thu Jun 25 04:15:08 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun25.074931.20705 at ncsu.edu>, samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena) writes:

|> For $4000 I can dedicate a soupped-up PC
|> full time to sequence crunching for two years and "afford" to
|> throw it away when the technology is made "obsolete" by natural
|> marketplace evolution.  Can you afford to chuck your Sparc Station after
|> 2 years?  :^)

This is just wrong.  I don't want to depend on your service.  Statements
like yours make the world upset against those who do it 'real'. I am afraid
that dilettantic attempts to provide services on cheap PCs will pollute the
literature and endanger serious providers because the attempt to say that
you can provide the same quality of service for $4K wheresas I claim to use
much more than that is generally appreciated by the funding agencies but
neither true nore does it help people getting misleading reults.

RD

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+