Systems People

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu Jun 25 01:22:46 EST 1992

> Learn the lessons of physicists, who are often saddled with keeping
> ancient computer systems running, because they need some piece of
> software that only runs on that machine and no one can possibly port
> it without rewriting it from scratch.

Another lesson from physics was the eventual split into theoretical
and experimental physics.  Sequence analysis is sufficiently complex
that many biologists might be better off if they collaborated with
experts rather than trying to do everything themselves.  One can also
learn systems adminstration on top of biology and the intricacies of
sequence analysis program algorithms and parameters, etc., but this is
more than a full-time job (my hat is of to those who have succeeded in
this).  I prefer the collaborative approach between experts over the
jack-of-all-trades approach as long as the people involved have the
personality traits of patience and willingness to communicate despite
the interference of different vocabulary sets.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net