DNA and phylogenetic trees.

Dan Jacobson x-8453 danj at WELCHGATE.WELCH.JHU.EDU
Wed Jun 17 11:59:32 EST 1992

Harald Steen writes:

>does anybody know about programs for constucting phylogenetic
>threes from DNA data? I am especially interested in programs
>sofisticated enough to include different approaches (alogritms)
>for such analysis.

I would recommend that you take a look at Joe Felsenstein's PHYLIP
which is a large package of phylogeny programs which is available
for Unix, Vax/VMS, PC and Mac.  There are precompiled static binaries
available for Sun-SPARCstation, DEC and SGI-IRIS workstations as well as
those for PCs (DOS) and Macs.  The documentation is Extensive (and quite
educational).  You can ftp phylip from evolution.genetics.washington.edu
(among other places).

PAUP is another good phylogeny package and costs around $50 - the last
time I checked.  I believe that you can find out how to get in touch with
the author of PAUP from the PHYLIP documentation as Joe provides a list
of phylogeny packages other than phylip that he is familiar with.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu