Hi-res printer

Cheung C. Yue ccy at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Mar 13 21:28:47 EST 1992

In a previous article, bdyke at DARWIN.SFBR.ORG (Bennett Dyke) says:

>An outfit called BioPhotonics Corp. of Ann Arbor advertises an elegant-
>looking gel scanning system called Gel Print (which I wish I had a need
>for).  Included with the system is a thermal printer that prints a 64
>level grey scale, 162 dpi 3 x 4 inch NTSC image.  Does anybody know who
>makes such printers?

I had looked into this problem a little while ago.  If you look carefully
at the ad, you may be able to discern the three-leaf trademark of
Mitsubishi.  Indeed I was able to locate a 64-grey scale thermal image
printer from Mitsubishi sold by a company called Shortage Control here
in Cleveland (incidentally Shortage Control because they sell surveilance
cameras!).  While looking through their catalog, I saw another Mitsubishi
thermal printer which was even better for about the same price (about
$1500 to $2500 or so).  Subsequently I found yet another printer from
Hitachi which was even more amazing - a sample print out was almost
photograph like in quality.  Unfortunately this last machine did not
have good standard connections for dumping computer outputs apparently.
In the meantime, I have started to look at the laser printer modification
option ala Stratagene.  There was once a Hewlett Packard laser jet
option board from ?Pacific-something-or-rather which would do 64 grey
scale, but I was unable to locate more information.  Most recently Acer
has been advertising a 256 grey scale laser printer but I don't know
about availability of drivers for various programs.

The long and short of all this mumble jumble is that there is a lot of
new things going on out there and we should be able to put
together our own systems to print out photographic quality images
either on thermal paper or plain paper without necessarily paying
an arm and a leg for it.  Unfortunately I am writing
all this from home, so most of the information are not nearby.  I'll
gather all the information this coming week and post a follow-up.
Stay tuned.

Cheung Cho Yue, M.D.
ccy at po.cwru.edu