Netfind Instructions

Dan Jacobson danj at WELCHGATE.WELCH.JHU.EDU
Sat Mar 14 13:29:12 EST 1992

Since I posted a note about netfind - I have recieved a number of
requests for information which I have answered personally and have
thus decided to post these step by step installation instructions.
Type what I have sorrounded with quotation marks "" but NOT the
quotation marks themselves.  <RETURN> indicates that you should hit
the RETURN key.
NOTE: As far as I know netfind will at present only works on a Sun
      workstation.  I don't know of any version which will work
      on a Vax/VMS system - sorry about that.

to retrieve the files type "ftp ftp.cs.colorado.edu"

login:"anonymous" <RETURN>
password:"your-address" <RETURN>

(ignore the message on the screen - it refers to another set of files
not concerning netfind)

ftp>"cd pub/cs/distribs/netfind" <RETURN>

ftp>"binary" <RETURN>

ftp>"mget *"

     You will be asked if you want to retrieve each of the three files
     type "y" for yes each time.

ftp>"quit" <RETURN>

Ok, create a directory called netfind - type "mkdir netfind" <RETURN>

Now create a subdirectory of netfind - type "mkdir netfind/seed" <RETURN>

Move the netfind.tar.Z and seeddb.tar.Z files into their directories
 - type
"mv netfind.tar.Z netfind" <RETURN>
"mv seeddb.tar.Z netfind/seed" <RETURN>

Now go into the netfind directory - type "cd netfind" <RETURN>
Uncompress the file - type "uncompress netfind.tar.Z" <RETURN>
Untar the file - type "tar -xvf netfind.tar" <RETURN>

Netfind will now unpack into mant differnet files and subdirectories.

Do the same for seedb.tar.Z - type "cd seed" <RETURN>
uncompress and untar as before.

Now to find the path of the seed directory  - type "pwd" <RETURN>
Write the response down a piece of paper - you are going to use it in
a minute - it will probably look something like this -
/users/zhangy/netfind/seed

Now type "cd ../src" <RETURN> to move to the src subdirectory of the
netfind directory.  Now there is a file called Makefile - you are going
to haved to make one modification to that file - I hope you now how
to use the screen editor vi - if not ask for instructions there.
type - "vi Makefile" <RETURN> - to start editing the file.

Very brief instructions on vi - the "j" key moves the cursor down,
the "k" key moves the cursor up.  The "l" key moves the cursor to
the right and the "h" key moves the cusor to the left.  The "x" key
deletes one character at a time.  To type text you must first
hit the "i" key (for insert) - then all the keys you type will be
added as text - to stop typing text and return the use of the j,k,l,h and
x keys hit <Esc>  (the escape key).

Now use the "j" key to go down to the CFLAGS line in the Makefile.
Modify that line to indicate where the seeddb INDEX file is (using the results
of the pwd command you used in the seed directory) - my guess is when
you`re done that it should look something like this:

CFLAGS=-DCONNECT_TIMEOUT=5 -I$(RESOLVER_DIR) -DNO_STATISTICS -O \
       -DDEFAULT_SEED_DB=\"/users/zhangy/netfind/seed/INDEX\"

Once you have done this (remember to hit <Esc> to stop entering text)
type "ZZ"  (<SHIFT> ZZ) to quit the editor and save the changes.

Now to get back to the netfind directory type "cd .." <RETURN>

To compile the Netfind package simply type "make" <RETURN>

Once the program has been compiled - you will find a binary called
netfind in your netfind/sparc or netfind/m68k directory (depending on
what type of Sun workstation you have (Sparc or Sun3, respectively).

To try and find somebody - simply type there last name and roughly where
they are located.  For example to find Rob Harper, one of my network
heroes, you would type "netfind Harper funet" <RETURN>
and would get the following results:

There are too many domains in the list.
Please select at most 3 of the following:
	0. cs.tut.fi (finnish university and research network funet)
	1. funet.fi (finnish academic and research network project - funet)
	2. tut.fi (finnish university and research network funet)
	3. uni-koeln.de (finnish university and research network (funet))
Enter selection (e.g., 3 1 2) --> 1
( 0) check_name: checking domain funet.fi. Level = 0
( 1) check_name: funet.fi has been checked
( 1) check_name: funet.fi has been checked
------
Search of domains completed. Proceeding to search of hosts.
------
( 0) check_name: checking host nic.funet.fi. Level = 0
( 1) check_name: checking host etana.funet.fi. Level = 0
( 2) check_name: checking host koralli.funet.fi. Level = 0
( 3) check_name: checking host router.funet.fi. Level = 0
( 4) check_name: funet.fi has been checked
SYSTEM: nic.funet.fi
	Login name: harper    			In real life: Rob Harper
	Directory: /home/csc/harper         	Shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
	Last login Sat Mar 14 13:00 on ttypa from csc.fi
	Mail last read Sat Mar 14 13:01:20 1992
	Project: ** Uninitialized .project -file **
	Plan:
	** Uninitialized .plan -file **

Thus you would know where to drop him a note to thank him for
his network services.  You would also know that he would actually
read that note - as you can see he read his mail at 1:00 PM on
Saturday (today).  It's nice to know that there are others so
addicted to the network that they login on Saturday to read their
mail :-)  Of course this is no surprise for Rob.  All kidding
aside it is important information - you can see when the last
time a person logged onto the machine that you've found and whether
or not they read their mail, so that you aren't going to mail
something into a black hole (a machine on which somebody has an
account but hasn't logged in for a long time or doesn't read their
mail).  Netfind is really just a fancy way of fingering someone
but is a bit more flexible in letting you specify a very general
location and then searching  around to all the
machines that are interconnected at a given site.  It's not perfect
but it can be a big help.

Hope this helps,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu