filenames with .uaa, .uab, .uac extensions

Rob Harper harper at
Thu Mar 12 08:55:47 EST 1992

In <39650 at> muriana at (Peter M. Muriana) writes:

>While perusing the files in several anonymous-FTP sites I've noticed
>filename extensions such as .uaa, .uab, .uac.
>Can anyone tell me what kind of decompression/de-archiving program
>is needed to access these programs and where to find the particular
>de-archiving program?

The files are UUENCODED files that have been done by the EMBL encoder
developed by Rainer Fuchs. The files are plain ascii, and when you
UUDECODE them they usually produce an archive, self-extracting in some

   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302