EPD files

Cary O'Donnell ODONNELL at ARCB.AFRC.AC.UK
Thu Mar 5 05:24:00 EST 1992

Dan Jacobson said:

>It was just stated that the EPD release from genbank has no sequences so
>one can't reformat it to GCG or any other sequence format.  This came as a

  I would like to point out that my posting made it clear I was referring to
  EMBL29, not Genbank. The original question was:

>>> I am trying to change the eukaryotic promoter database (epd29.seq)
>>> from a FASTA format to a GCG format so GCG can perform FASTA
>>> searches.

My reply began:

>The EPD.DAT file distributed by EMBL does not contain sequence information
>at all. So it cannot be "formatted" for GCG.

As Dan says:

>Well just a simple file confusion - yes there is an EPD file which doesn't
>list the sequences HOWEVER the original discussion revolved around edp29.dat
> ... which is on the NCBI ftp server

I apologise for any confusion - the original discussion didn't mention NCBI
specifically. The European perspective ** and all that...... I just noted the
same question repeated two days in a row. The only EPD29 that came to mind
was the EMBL one, so I looked at that for an answer.

>them there files :-).  Thus there's no need for the complicated extraction
>that todays poster mentioned.

It's not that complicated :-)

regards,
Cary

**(one being we usually, yes usually, get BB ANSWERING mails before we get
   the QUESTION, which is confusing enough. The recent BIO-FORUM debate
   has been nigh impossible to follow from here)

AFRC Computing Division         JANET   : AFRC.ARCB::ODONNELL
West Common                     INTERNET: ODONNELL at ARCB.AFRC.AC.UK
Harpenden                       Tel: (+44) 582 762271 ext 229
Herts AL5 2JE                   Fax: (+44) 582 761710
U.K.                            (AFRC = Agricultural & Food Research Council)

(UK Government Minister, 20-Feb-1992. Radio4 "Today" program):
"Four out of ten criminal suspects are unemployed, that means that six out
 of ten ARE employed....so the increase in crime figures has nothing to do
 with the rise in unemployment..."