harper at convex.csc.FI
Mon May 18 09:05:42 EST 1992
** SCIENTIFIC DATABASE PROJECT **
Scientific databases are becoming more and more important
(molbio: GenBank/EMBL, PDB. Chemistry: JCPDS. Physics:CPC)
In addition satellite pictures, weather forecast data and all types
of imaging require considerable diskspace. The obvious place
to store large databases would be on a fileserver system with
a cassette robot and fast cache disks for file handling.
I would be interested in hearing from people who maintain large
scientific databases... or from users of any type of database.
Here are a few questions on which I would like to hear your opinion.
1) What databases are absolutely essential for your work
at your institution.
2) What databases would you want to have access to, but
at present are not installed at your site.
3) What type of machine do you keep your databases on.
4) Who takes care of maintainance and upkeep.
5) Who took care of the financing of the different databases.
6) Do you use any network solutions to solve your access to databases
that are not available locally.
You can either reply to the list or to me directly at
harper at convex.csc.fi and I will summarise to the NET.
Thanks in advance
Rob Harper ( Finnish State Computer Centre )
Rob Harper / E-mail: harper at convex.csc.fi
Finnish State Computer Centre / Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo / Telephone: +358 0 457 2076
Finland / Fax: +358 0 457 2302
More information about the Bio-soft