Wondering about software to treat the Double-Digest Problem

Bill Pearson wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU
Thu May 14 18:26:47 EST 1992

In article <920514144824.12b3 at CUCCFA.CCC.COLUMBIA.EDU> MARK at CUCCFA.CCC.COLUMBIA.EDU (T. Mark Reboul) writes:
>Greetings! Can somebody out there in Bionetland tell me if publicly
>accessible software exists for handling Double- or Multiple-Digest
>Problems?
>
>I am aware that these are difficult computational problems, pretty
>much intractable, for a number of reasons. However, I have a user
>facing fairly "small" instances of DDP/MDP, and he could be aided by
>some automated form of attack, accepting that suggested solutions
>might come with no guarantee of correctness or optimality.

	W. R. Pearson (1982) "Automatic Calculation of Restriction Site Maps"
	Nuc. Acids Res. 10:217

describes a program that can infer simple restriction maps from single
and double digest data.  It also reports alternative maps.  I can send
you a copy.  I have not worked on it for a long time, and do not support
or encourage its use, but it may be useful for simple problems (< 10 double
digest fragments).

Bill Pearson