Sequence databases on the network

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Nov 1 23:06:33 EST 1992

>In article <1992Oct31.153502.15279 at comp.bioz.unibas.ch>, doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) writes:
>>There are a variety of sources which can be used to download sequence
>>databases (full releases) via FTP. I find this procedure tolerable on
>>local or may be national networks, but it is definitively overkill
>>on international lines. I am currently providing Swissprot and EMBL in generic,
>>as well all other databases in GCG/PIR format.  If the usage of FTP'ing
>>these databases outside of Switzerland continues as it did in the past
>>(e.g., EMBL was downloaded by more than 18 sites, five of them being
>>information providers, which is okay, but the rest were sites who wanted
>>to "save money", or didn't know about a resource on their national net),
>>we will be forced to close down this way of access for international networks.

An alternative location to obtain the least EMBL database and updates
via anonymous ftp is amber.mgh.harvard.edu [IP 132.183.191.26].  This
archive is open to all and is encouraged for sites outside of
Switzerland. Amber is a VMS system so the compressed EMBL flat files
are in the form: "xxx.dat_z". If you are running Unix you might need to
rename the files to the form: "xxx.dat.Z".

Weekly updates of EMBL are of available in two compressed flat files:

    xembl.flat_z      additions to EMBL since the last release
    xxembl.flat_z     modifications of sequences in the release

All of the above files are obtained direct from the Swiss EMBnet node
and are provided thanks to Reinhard Doelz.

Remember that compressed files should be transferred as binary. Also
available on Amber are VMS savesets of the EMBL database minus those
sequences already in GenBank. These are produced using the latest
GenBank database from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov plus daily updates and the GCG
EMBLtoGCG/EXCLUDE command.

Mike Cherry
cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu