IUBio Archive biology data searches via WAIS and Gopher

mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU
Wed Nov 4 18:22:50 EST 1992

Don Gilbert modestly writes (on bio-soft):

>This is a summary of new biology data searching and retrieval offerings
>at the IUBio Archive (Internet host ftp.bio.indiana.edu).  These
>data are now available via a Wide Area Information Server, WAIS, as
>well as via Internet Gopher.

 (much text deleted - read [and save!] his previous posting for the full
report - basically announces the availability of boolean searches of
genbank entries by gopher)

   Caramba!  The biological community now has a virtual replacement for the
IRX system!  And one person wrote much of both ends of it - everyone owes
DG a noisy round of cheers and hurrahs!
   Throw out your Genbank CDs, archive your databases, unsubscribe from the
various proprietary databases.  Don just saved an awful lot of people
viewing this message a lot of money and disk space.

   Incidentally, we are examining the possibility of setting up a similar
gopher hole on the west coast.  What are your favorite databases?  What
kind of access would you like?  Gopher? FTP? WAIS? All of the above?  Let
me know so we can get an idea of what kind of resources will have to be
dedicated to it.

Cheers,

Harry

Harry Mangalam                                   Vox:(619) 453-4100, x250
Dept of Biocomputing                                   Fax:(619) 552-1546
The Salk Institute                             mangalam at salk-sc2.sdsc.edu
10010 N Torrey Pines Rd                        mangalam at salk-sgi.sdsc.edu
La Jolla CA 92037                                    mangalam at salk.bitnet