GOPHER

Steve Lamont spl at pitstop.ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 22 17:10:33 EST 1992

In article <9210222121.AA14453 at net.bio.net> SJJ at ICBR.IFAS.UFL.EDU ("JONG, SONG-MUH J") writes:
>I have seen many e-mail messages talking about the GOPHER. I am new
>to this field and would like to hear from anyone as to what is GOPHER
>and how can one get access to the GOPHER.

Gopher is an information service that is accessed by way of a gopher
or xgopher Internet client.  You can get source for gopher clients
from boombox.micro.umn.edu (134.84.132.2) and at something like 96
other known FTP sites.

Think of it as kind of a metaFTP.

							spl
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (619) 534-7968 -- spl at szechuan.ucsd.edu
UCSD Microscopy and Imaging Resource/UCSD Med School/La Jolla, CA 92093-0608
"Twit twit twit/Jug jug jug jug jug jug/So rudely forc'd./Tereu"
                - T. S. Eliot, "The Waste Land," III. The Fire Sermon