List of BioGophers

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Oct 26 16:13:51 EST 1992

This is a list of the current Biology oriented gopher servers that I
know of.  If anyone has additions or corrections, please let me know.

I'm pleased to see as many entries as there are.  I would like to
encourage more biology groups to set up Internet Gopher servers
(briefly, ftp to boombox.micro.umn.edu, /pub/gopher, or gopher
to gopher.micro.umn.edu, About Gopher.../ for info on setting up
a server).  I think this is an easy and very useful way to make
data available to biologists around the world.

The WAIS indexing software that can be used with gopher or separately
is also a very handy way to index large chunks of data for quick
access to keyword searches.  I have some modifications of wais
software for biology data that I'll be making available sometime
soon.

I seem to be the only one maintaining a copy of Genbank that is
accessible thru Gopher keyword searches.  If someone else would
like to do that also, I think it would be a good idea to have
more than one access point for this frequently used gopher service.

		-- Don

Name=IUBio Biology Archive, Indiana University (experimental)
Host=ftp.bio.indiana.edu
Port=70
Type=1
Path=
#
Name=BIOFTP EMBnet Switzerland
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=bioftp.unibas.ch
#
Name=INN, Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=sunbcd.weizmann.ac.il
#
Name=Genes at genes.icgeb.trieste.it (under construction)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=genes.icgeb.trieste.it
#
Name=PIR Archive, University of Houston (very experimental)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=ftp.bchs.uh.edu
#
Name=National Science Foundation Gopher
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=stis.nsf.gov
#
Name=University of Wisconsin-Madison, Medical School
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=msd.medsch.wisc.edu
#
Name=EMBnet BioInformation Resource EMBL
Type=1
Path=
Host=ftp.embl-heidelberg.de
Port=70
#
Name=Arabidopsis AAtDB Gopher Server
Type=1
Path=
Host=weeds.mgh.harvard.edu
Port=70
#
Name=National University of Singapore
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/BioComputing
Host=solomon.technet.sg
#
Name=Biodiversity and Biological Collections at Harvard
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=huh.harvard.edu