Query on the use of software packages in biology

M McGettrick masmm at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Tue Sep 22 05:43:28 EST 1992

              It seems to us that different software systems are being used
to solve different aspects of problems in biology. Recently some
"integrated" packages have appeared which can tackle all aspects of a problem
from numerical analysis to computer algebra to visualisation.
              In connection with some work we are doing on linking symbolic and
numerical computer packages, we would like to know

a) the requirements (if any!) biologists have for integrated
(software) systems,

b) what possible applications have such systems in biology,

c) whether the packages available at the moment are used widely and whether
   they satisfy current needs.

      We would welcome a response to any of these questions, by posting to
this group or by e-mail to

                 masmm at gdr.bath.ac.uk
                 masgn at gdr.bath.ac.uk

Thanks!