Cladistics Programs for Dos/Unix?

Doug.Eernisse at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU Doug.Eernisse at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
Fri Apr 2 11:01:08 EST 1993

Just to clarify Carol Bult's recent comments:
> The DOS-based cladistics program I use is Hennig86 which was written
> by Steve Farris. The program cost is modest, ~ $50.00 (U.S.), but I'm not
>-sure how
> Steve is handling the distribution of the program because he no longer
> lives in the US.

Hennig86 is obtained by sending a check to:
 Dr. A. Kluge
 Museum of Zoology
 Univ. of Michigan
 Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Cost is $50 plus $5 or $10 for shipping and diskette, etc.,
depending on whether the order is from U.S. or not, respectively.

>My understanding is that he is working on a
> Windows version of PAUP, but it will probably be awhile before that is
> ready for distribution.

The non-Mac version of PAUP, which might be released soon or perhaps
not, does not depend on Windows. The Mac version 3.1 will soon be
released. The old MS-DOS/mainframe version is truly obsolete and
should not be used (unless you don't care whether or not you find
the minimum length trees).

As Carol mentioned, Phylip is available and is free (Joe, have you
got it working on microwave ovens yet? ;-)
 --virtually all platforms--does other things besides parsimony
searches

Doug Eernisse
Doug_Ee at um.cc.umich.edu