Molbio Software Standard

Bradley K. Sherman bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Sat Apr 3 17:31:47 EST 1993

In article <1pggn0$amq at overload.lbl.gov> bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov (Bradley K. Sherman) writes:
>If you guys keep thinking of programmers as lab techs we're not going
>to get anywhere.

First of all, let me apologize for my intemperate remarks and
especially to lab techs without whom I could not do my work.

Writing software for researchers is a difficult proposition.
It is very common for a single successful run of a program
to be the last use of that program!  It is often the case that
a simple graph or picture is the culmination of hundreds of hours
of moving data from one form to another, filtering out
noise, and applying a special purpose mathematical transform
-- often some arcane algorithm thought up by Gauss after one
too many Schnapps on a chilly night in 1843 and never before
implemented in any form more concrete than a doctoral dissertation.

By the time the software is cast into a robust form, thoroughly
vetted and outfitted with its direct manipulation interface
for Curses, Windows , Windows NT, Mac, OS/2, OpenLook, NeXtStep
Motif, VMS, ... and then retested for window manager idiosyncrasies
the problem it solves may be of no interest.

    --bks

--
Bradley K. Sherman, Dendrome Project
Institute of Forest Genetics, USDA Forest Service
Phone: 510-559-6437   FAX: -6440 Internet: bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov