Free EMBL-database query/search software ?

Tonko Ljubicic tonko at hprd26a.cern.ch
Mon Apr 5 10:25:01 EST 1993

In <tonko.733842493 at hprd26a> tonko at hprd26a.cern.ch (Tonko Ljubicic) writes:

>Does anybody know of a free (or cheap) EMBL database searching
>software ? In the manner of CD-SEQ from the EMBL CD for instance.
>Preferably for DOS (Windows?) and Unix (X11?).

I'm new to this "bionet software" world so let me please rephrase my
question since the responses I got were too general...

The question is :

Does somebody have any experience/opinions/recommendations about
the freely available EMBL-database search/query tools ?

------

Is anybody out there using any of them ? Or everybody uses the
mail-server ? Eh ?

I _KNOW_ about the EMBL ftp server, but from the 1-liners in the help/doc
files I can't find any package that would compile and run on a general Unix
workstation with a general C compiler. Of course, I can try to hack some of
these packages to make them run on my system(s) but is it worth the trouble ?
Is there any generally accepted tool ?

	-- Tonko

--
ljubicic at dxcern.cern.ch   ljubicic at cernvm.bitnet   tonko at hprd26a.cern.ch