The Entrez CD-ROM and the Government Printing Office (US)

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Sat Apr 10 00:02:33 EST 1993

rhughes at ucsd.edu (Richard J. Hughes) writes:

>It turns out that the staff at NCBI are totally unlike those at the GPO.  I
>received an e-mail response to the above net message from Dennis at NCBI the
>same day.  Next morning, Rose Marie called and this morning I received a
>Fed Ex package containing a copy of Entrez.  Wow!  Thanks guys.

>The folks who work at NCBI are clearly a different breed than those who work
>at GPO.  I should have known that already, I guess.  Greg Schuler
>promptly sent me a copy of the manual for his fantastic MACAW program.  All
>I had to do was ask.

>Richard J. Hughes

I have the highest regards for Dennis Benson and others at NCBI.  They
have many talented people working there and Dennis has been a personal
friend for over five years.

I also want to point out one small fact in your statement above:

> I received an e-mail response to the above net message
                                             ***

While the GenBank contract was ebbing away, I stood up repeatedly at a
number of GenBank advisor meetings and argued that all major
government-sponsored projects should have an associated newsgroup to
ensure that they remain responsive to the public.  This advice did not
always fall on sympathetic ears .......

You have just provided **yet another** example of why this remains
true, and why the network has such an important role to play in
biology.

The next time that someone tries to tell you that the BIOSCI
newsgroups are full of worthless garbage, please be sure to remind
them of your experience.  I think that we can put up with the
occasional flame wars and sometimes bruised egos in exchange for the
benefits like this.  I survived five years of public potshots first as
manager of the BIONET National Computer Resource for Molecular Biology
and later as GenBank Manager, and I believe that others can too.
Posters should be civil, of course, and I have always advocated
contacting the private help addresses before going public, but the
newsgroups can serve as a forum when other routes fail.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net