statistics packages for Windows

David Parsons dparsons at ache.mad.adelaide.edu.au
Sun Apr 11 07:53:29 EST 1993

In article   writes:
>From: jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU (M. Jane Harper)
>Subject: statistics packages for Windows
>I'd be curious to see what the bioscientists on the Net have found useful in
>the way of statistics packages, especially those which run under Windows.
>Our campus statisticians are good at formulas but not really computer mavens,
>and make funny faces when I say "But I'm running Windows ..."  :-)
I have had SigmaStat from Jandel scientific  for about 4 months.  It's a DOS
program but runs fine in Windows 3.1.  It is based on the Glantz text and
approach "Primer of Biostatistics"which is about the only stats book that
IS reader friendly.  Highly recc. if you want to take the mysticism out of
statistics, and have stats work for you instead of the other way around!

Check out the book - it should be in just about any univerity library.  If you
like the approach, get the software.  Best aspects (so far) include that the
software will always check that the UNDERLYING ASSUMPTIONS are fulfilled before
proceeding. If not the alternate analyses are suggetsed.  Most often for me
is that ANOVA routine ensures that normality and equal variances are OK.
I'm not the olny one thats been know to overlook those checks in the heat of
the experimental chase!

Also has an <advise> menu, if you aren't sure just which type of data analysis
is best.  Lots more I haven't got into yet too.

Also, JAndel is on the net:  try:    jandel at support.com