GLE Graphics Package: New mailing list

Dean Pentcheff 777-8998 dean2 at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu
Mon Apr 12 12:36:39 EST 1993

The GLE Graphics Package Mailing List
also serve as a conduit for bug reports or requests for new features.

Associated with the mailing list is an archive.  Correspondence on the
mailing list will automatically be archived.  The mailing list
maintainer (Dean Pentcheff) will also store useful, documented GLE code
fragments in a separate archive.  These archives can be searched via
electronic mail.  See the section on "help" below to find out about
getting information on searching archives and retrieving files.

What is GLE?
------------
GLE is a high quality graphics package for scientists.  It runs on a
variety of platforms (PCs, VAXes, and Unix) with drivers for XWindows,
REGIS, TEK4010, PC graphics cards, VT100s, HP plotters, Postscript
printers, Epson-compatible printers and Laserjet/Paintjet printers.  It
provides LaTEX quality fonts, as well as full support for Postscript
fonts.  The graphing module provides full control over all features of
graphs.  The graphics primitives include user-defined subroutines for
complex pictures and diagrams.

Accompanying utilities include Surface (for hidden line surface
plotting), Contour (for contour plots), Manip (for manipulation of
columnar data files), and Fitls (for fitting arbitrary equations to
data).

How does the mailing list work?
a reply back to the all the subscribers, send a private email message
back to the originator of the message, or (of course) not reply at
all.

How do I subscribe?

    listserver at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu

The body of the email message should consist of the following single
line:

    sub glelist Your Name

Replace "Your Name" with your real name (not your email address).  The
"Subject" of the email will be ignored by the software.  The case of
the message is also ignored.  Your email address will be extracted
automatically from your email message.

Once you have subscribed, you should receive an acknowledgement by
email within a day.  After that you will automatically receive all the
correspondence sent to the mailing list, and you can send your own
email messages to the list.

How do I send messages to the GLEList subscribers?
To send an email message out to all the GLEList subscribers, simply send
the email message to the following address:

    glelist at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu

Don't confuse this address with the "listserver" address.  Messages to
control your subscription (to subscribe to the list, unsubscribe from
it, get indexes of the mailing list archives, etc.) should be special
"listserver" commands sent to listserver at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu.
Email messages that you want distributed to the subscribers of the list
should be sent to glelist at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu.

How do I get some code of mine archived for everyone to access?
maintainer) at:

	dean2 at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu

If possible, send multiple files in the form of a Unix "shar" file.  If
you don't know what that means, or if it's difficult to do that, just
send them on to me however you can - I'll repackage things for
archiving.  If I see interesting things posted in the main mailing
list, I may extract them and archive them separately as well.  However,
please send me the code directly if you want to ensure that I'll
archive it.

How do I get help?
a bit confusing at first.  You can always send email to the (human)
maintainer of the list, Dean Pentcheff.  To send him a message, send
email to:

    dean2 at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu

You can also contact him directly:

    Dean Pentcheff
    Department of Biology, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29205
    Telephone: 803-777-8998

For more information about the listserver software, send an email
message to this address:

    listserver at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu

The body of the email message should consist of the following two lines
(the "Subject" of the email will be ignored):

    help
    help listserver

That will cause two email messages to be sent to you that will help get
you started with the listserver software.

Once again: if you have trouble or want further advice, don't hesitate
to send email to the maintainer of the mailing list, Dean Pentcheff
(see above for his addresses).
--
Dean Pentcheff (Internet: dean2 at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu) (803) 777-8998
Department of Biology, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208