SeqApp development hiatus

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Apr 19 15:52:42 EST 1993

SeqApp development is in hiatus while I (a) deal with Flybase and
IU Biology work, (b) learn enough C++/MacApp3 programming to develop
a new version of GopherApp (Mac Gopher client that is incorporated
in SeqApp).  I've been wrestling with (b) since Thanksgiving,
I don't expect to have it solved before June.  I will provide
a small maintenance update of SeqApp sometime before 15 June when
current versions of it all fall over dead.  But it will probably
be later this summer before I can get a good new update of
SeqApp (in C++).

My plan is that the new version of GopherApp, then SeqApp, will be Gopher+
compatible, and that all the current sequence analysis by E-mail
functions will turn into Gopher+ functions that are accessible
thru a central Gopher+ server.  The advantage of that over the
current SeqApp e-mail server selections is that when a new E-mail
service comes on-line, or an old one changes, only the link info
at the central Gopher+ server need be changed.  The SeqApp program
itself won't need to be rewritten.  This will also mean that any
Gopher+ client will be able to use these e-mail services, and won't
need to be specially tailored to each service.

You will also see improved options at IUBio gopher with advent of
Gopher+ services.  These include the start made in Flybase with
options for people to request stocks or update their address info.
I hope to test some other interesting biocomputing services, but
they hinge on me getting a good Gopher+ client developed for testing.

-- Don
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu