Gopher and WAIS WinSock clients for Windows (!)

Harry Mangalam mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU
Wed Apr 21 14:09:57 EST 1993

Hi; Forgive me if this has been posted before, but if it was, I missed it
(and I was looking for it).

   I've been looking about for a WinSock compatible WAIS client for Windows
and finally found one by accident. has both clients that are
WinSock 1.1 compatible on their FTP server at (what else?) in the /pub/winsock directory.  You must ftp from an
NIS-registered host, though - if they can't verify your host, you can't get
   Both are Asymetrix Toolbook clients (relevant exe's and dll's included),
and both are written by Kevin Gamiel from UNC (and probably both can be got
from an UNC ftp site, but I haven't looked).  Both purport to be very early
versions but both work reasonably well.  I'm using the Netmanage-supplied
Winsock stack and I've had no (insurmountable) problems yet...

   Also, while on the topic, Eudora (the free, fabulous POPmail client for
the Mac, writ by Steve Dorner), is now also available as a WinSock
complient version (written by the Jeffs Beckley and Gehlhaar) as well as
the original FTP kernel-requiring one.  It also runs without problems on
the Netmanage stack.  You can get it from (from a
NIS-registered host!).

--- Std Disclaimers ---

Happy gophering/WAISing

Harry Mangalam                                   Vox:(619) 453-4100, x250
Dept of Biocomputing                                   Fax:(619) 552-1546
The Salk Institute                        1'   mangalam at
10010 N Torrey Pines Rd                   2'        hjm at
La Jolla CA 92037                         3'         mangalam at salk.bitnet