IUBIO archive usage statistics

Una Smith smith-una at yale.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:46:33 EST 1993

Don Gilbert writes:

>Here is a summary of software and data transactions
>at the IUBio archive for the last three weeks.  Note
>that Gopher usage is pretty high, and that it is as
>widely used throughout the world as is FTP.

Very nice!

Here are some tidbits from a recent gopher conference, dredged up
elsewhere in Usenet.

-------------
Some Veronica factoids:
10,000,000 gopher items found during a recent extract from Gopherspace.
1,500,000 items are left when redundant entries were removed.
360MBs is the current size of the Veronica data set.

Billy Barron covered the discussions on Cataloging E-Journals and other
resources.  With the growth in the number and depth of Gopher servers,
accessing the full universe of data on a particular topic has become more
difficult.  Discussion centered on using controlled vocabulary
the need for subject, chronology, and geographic location identifiers to
be imbedded in the document files.

Use of Gopher Protocols on the Internet has grown dramatically.  Gopher has
arisen from 199th to 14th (and 9th for last month.) among the most active
applications on the Internet.

>(for those interested, somewhere on the net is a list
>of country names for the codes at, au, be, ...  I don't
>have it handy, so leave it to you to find).

It's a FAQ in comp.mail.answers:  "Top Level..."

      Una Smith      Biology Department       smith-una at yale.edu
                     Yale University
                     New Haven, CT  06511