BioVeronica (was Re: IUBIO archive usage statistics)

Keith Robison robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 28 08:34:27 EST 1993

smith-una at yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:

>Here are some tidbits from a recent gopher conference, dredged up
>elsewhere in Usenet.

>-------------
>Some Veronica factoids:
>10,000,000 gopher items found during a recent extract from Gopherspace.
>1,500,000 items are left when redundant entries were removed.
>360MBs is the current size of the Veronica data set.

Una's information-rich post points out what may end up being a "problem"
with Veronica -- it's covering such a wide field.  I love gopher, but
confess to heavily using but a few sites because it is not always
easy to find stuff.  Two random thoughts on the matter:

  1)  It might be useful to have a Veronica with only biogophers on
      it (my experience with Veronica is that it tends to be slow --
      or maybe I'm just too impatient).

  2)  Some sort of global browser (one probably exists that I don't know
      of).  I was giving a spiel/plug for gopher at lab meeting yesterday,
      and found myself stuck on the biogophers I frequent.  It's not
      easy to get a general overview.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Gopher's success is certainly no accident --
it's amazing how much reference data is now just a keyboard away.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at biosun.harvard.edu