gene sequence marking

dale webb dwebb at unl.edu
Wed Apr 28 21:08:56 EST 1993

I am not much of a gene jockey so I may not use correct terminology.  I am
more of a computer type that people ask for help from.

One of the rocket scientists in our department showed me a page of line
after line of DNA sequences that were comparing genes from 2 or 3 different
genes for homology (I guess).  The sequences had little boxes around
certain triplets and runs of bases.  He said such "displays were fairly
common in the literature and asked me if I had seen any software for
"typing" the base sequences and putting the cute little boxes around the
groups of bases of "interest".

Does such software exist to anyone's knowledge.  How do other people make
these little boxes around the groups of bases.

Thank you for any help you can offer.