PDB - GCG or GENBANK accession number tables

Scott Rose rose at galtee.cs.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 2 22:08:06 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug2.153948.1 at hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu> bailey at genetics.upenn.edu (Charles Bailey) writes:
>In article <1993Aug2.150440.26409 at emba.uvm.edu>, brianf at med.uvm.edu (Brain Foley) writes:
>> 	Sounds great!  Where can I get SRS and what systems will it run
>> on?
>
>You can pick it up in North America from genetics.upenn.edu by anonymous ftp,
>in the directory Anon_Root:[Bio.SRS].  This is a mirror of the official
>distribution site in Europe, biomed.uio.no.  SRS will run under VMS, and I'm
>not aware of any hardware restrictions.  As a performance issue, it likes a lot
>of virtual memory and will consume a lot of cycles building its indices, but
>lookups by users are no real strain on memory or CPU.

Just a couple of addendums (addenda?) to that-- the indices are large and will
consume lots of disk space, more than proportional to the size of your
installed data because of links between databases.  Disk is cheap these days,
though.

Also, SRS is appearing on Unix these days-- it's known to run on
Ultrix, Irix, and various flavors of SunOS.  I can't say for sure that it
has actually been released for those platforms, but I didn't want it to go
unsaid that the work has been done and the availability of the product for
Unix is at the least imminant.  Conveniently, common sources are used to
build on all platforms.

	-S