Questions for Stereoscopic Goggles ...

James M. Fenton fenton at nemo.life.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 17 12:55:38 EST 1993

HYUNERHO at KRSNUCC1.BITNET writes:

>Dear Netters ...

>In recent days many books and articles present stereoscopic images
>for their molecular structures and
>I believe there are several kinds of methods to generate stereo images .
>I hope I could purchase any cheap glasses to view those images ...

>Is anybody out there who are willing to let me know where could I order
>the glasses for stereoscopic images please ?

>Thanks for reading me and in advance .
>Sincerely Rhee Hwan-Seok
>Dept. Mol.Biol
>Seoul National Univ.
>e-mail : hyunerho at krsnucc1.BITNET

Reel 3-D Enterprises, Inc.  P.0. Box 2368, Culver City, CA  90231 will send
you a catalog of almost every 3-D and stereo product in existence.
Phone 310-837-2368

The other option is to look at the pictures without using glasses or any other
aide.  You just need to force your eyes to focus individually on the correct
half of the stereo pair.  Most printed stereo pairs are laid out in what may
be called the wally-eyes arrangement, as opposed to cross-eyed.  This means
that to be viewed correctly you need to look at the left image with your left
eye and the right image with your right eye.  It sometimes helps to hold a
piece of cardboard vertically between the two halves so that you can only see
one side with each eye.  You should be able to get your brain to cause the two
images to form a composite image that will be in 3-D.  What you will "see" is
a 3rd image form between the other two.  If there is lettering on the two
halves, I usually try to get the corresponding letters or numbers to overlap
and come into focus and then look at the whole structure.

One advantage of this technique is that it can also be applied to images on
computer screens.

--
  Jim Fenton	 fenton at nemo.life.uiuc.edu	|
  Biophysics Division, Univ. of Illinois	|