Need to find RIBBON program

Phillip D. Russell flip at
Wed Aug 18 15:46:24 EST 1993

In article <cup-170893143207 at> cup at (Chris Upton) writes:
>In article <CBw5uw.2pI at>, flip at
>(Phillip D. Russell) wrote:
>> In article <16AUG199318011908 at> csshelp at (Steve at ACS HELP) writes:
>> >Was wondering if anyone knew of a program called RIBBON that I could
>> >ftp from somewhere.  This program reads PDB files and a parameter file
>> >and creates a ribbon-like cartoon of the protein.  Beta sheets are represented
>> >by ribbons with arrow and helices with a stylized spiral.
>> We have a program like this for the Mac.
>Can you tell us what you're using, if it's public domain (or it's cost) &
>a few impressions?  Many thanks...

I've been flooded with mail for this. I thought modeling programs
were pretty common. Silly me.

The program in question is called MacInPlot. It is written by
Tom Smith (tom at

The program produces ribbons, ball&stick, and space filled models.

I know nothing about Biology, I have been using the program to create
models images for QuickTime movies for a Molecules of Life CD we're
selling to highschools.

I don't know how Dr. Smith feels about distribution of his program
so everyone who is interested should e-mail him directly for it.

He's pretty busy, so it may take a few days for a reply.

         __@    Phillip "Flip" Russell  | Purdue University      __@
  _ -_,_-\<,_   flip at | West Lafayette, IN  _ -\<,_
 (_)/---|/-(_)           The important things...             (_)|/-(_)
                        My bikes and my Macintosh