computer programming/data analysis

shriver at qm.c-biochem.siu.edu shriver at qm.c-biochem.siu.edu
Sun Aug 29 16:32:31 EST 1993

We are in the middle of a discussion here concerning the pros and cons of
having graduate students in biochemistry and molecular biology take a
short course in computer programming and data analysis.  The molecular
biologists feel that this is an old fashioned requirement, while the
biophysicists feel that todays students are becoming less and less
acquainted with quantitative approaches.  I have been asked to determine
if any biochemistry or molecular biology graduate programs still require
their students to have been exposed to computer programming (in any
language) and data analysis.

John W. Shriver
shriver at qm.c-biochem.siu.edu