future software directions

Mark A. Gunnell GUNNELL at FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV
Thu Feb 18 22:23:59 EST 1993

Potter -

> I agree with what Dave said about GCG -- I've talked to a lot of users and
> at best they merely tolerate it -- Steve is the first person I've heard
> say he actually _likes_ it.  Whenever I've tried to use it I feel like
> I've just landed on Mars.  I don't think GCG has a future until the user
> interface is improved.

  Well, I'm not a seer, so I won't make any predictions on the future, but
it has one hell of a present!  At the FBSC we run GCG on both our VAX Cluster
and our SGI's.  We were checking our VAX-GCG accounting file one day last week
and noted that the package was used over 800 times _IN_ONE_DAY_!!!!!  If
our folks are "merely tolerating it",  they're putting up with it real
frequently...

Mark A. Gunnell                   | Internet: gunnell at ncifcrf.gov
Sci. Applications Analyst         | Bitnet:   gunnell%ncifcrf.gov at cunyvm.bitnet
Biomedical Supercomputer Center   | Phone:   (301) 846-5779
PRI/DynCorp                       |
NCI-FCRDC                         |
PO Box B, Bldg 430                |
Frederick, MD 21702-1201  USA     |